Sunday 18 November 2012

Fuerteventura - Day 2, 18 Nov 12

Although I finished yesterday a little bit disappointed having not seen Houbara Bustard, I needn't have worried as I more than made up for it this morning.  I was up at 6am and headed up to El Cotillo for dawn. I headed out along the rough track that winds its way south from the village, following the coast line before it heads inland following Barranco de Esquinzo. I stopped at regular intervals to look at the desert habitat along the way and it wasn't long before I'd found a displaying male Houbara Bustard. It was a bit of a way off, but through the scope it looked great, fluffing out its white ruff and throwing his head back. I continued on and just before I reached the barranco (river bed) I noticed another Houbara, this time much closer. I manoeuvred my car into position and managed to get some great shots of it. After a while it mooched off through some ground cover and it was then that I realised that there was more than one - in fact there was four of them! They all strolled off into the desert and then stopped a bit further away.


Houbara Bustard, El Cotillo

Houbara Bustard, El Cotillo

Houbara Bustard, El Cotillo


I headed off and parked near the barannco, which I headed into on foot. I had my first Barbary Partridge, Chiffchaff and Black Redstart of the trip along the river bed along with a very showy Spectacled Warbler.
Spectacled Warbler, El Cotillo

Spectacled Warbler, El Cotillo

Spectacled Warbler, El Cotillo
Spectacled Warbler, El Cotillo

Barbary Partridge, El Cotillo




After that I headed back the way I came in and was thrilled to find another four Houbaras near a cultivated field on the south side of the barranco. There was presumably 2 males in the group as at least two of the birds showed quite a bit of aggression to each other and frequently fluffed out their ruffs.

4 Houbara Bustards, El Cotillo

I headed back towards El Cotillo and then double-backed on myself to look at the rather lush looking gardens of the villas just inland of the track. There's a nice smooth track that runs out to the villas and there are quite a few birds around them, but not much actually in the gardens. A couple of Hoopoes were feeding along the road along with a couple more Barbary Partridge. The day turned even better when a Common Buzzard that I flushed out of one of the gardens flew out over a large expanse of desert habitat and in turn flushed 3 Cream-coloured Coursers. When I returned to my car I decided to drive further along the track to see if I could find the Coursers. Over the next hour I had great views of a flock of 6 birds. I strategically positioned my car ahead of them and allowed them to approach me (instead of me chasing after them). At one point I head a bird no further than 10 metres away from me - it was excellent!
Cream-coloured Courser, El Cotillo

Cream-coloured Courser, El Cotillo

Cream-coloured Courser, El Cotillo

Cream-coloured Courser, El Cotillo

Cream-coloured Courser, El Cotillo

Cream-coloured Courser, El Cotillo


I left the desert habitat and went back into El Cotillo, heading for the lighthouse on the north side of the town. I did a bit of seawatching whilst I ate my lunch. The sea was quite empty, but 4 distant Cory's Shearwaters were nice to see.

After that I went to Los Molinos reservoir, the only place on the island that always has water. I headed in from the south first, parking at the goat farm and walking along the barranco to the reservoir. After that I went round to the north and viewed the water from the dam. The best bird was a Ring-necked Duck which had joined the rather sizeable Coot flock.

 There were quite a few Ruddy Shelduck around the reservoir, both on the water and in the surrounding 'fields'. Songbirds were also present in good numbers with Spanish Sparrows, Trumpeter Finches, Berthelots Pipits and Southern Grey Shrike being seen.

There was a good selection of waders around the res. Common and Spotted Redshanks, Common Greenshank, Common and Green Sandpiper, Ringed Plover and Black-winged Stilt. A couple of Eurasian Wigeon, Common Teal and White Wagtail all added to the diversity.

Ruddy Shelducks, Los Molinos
Ruddy Shelducks, Los Molinos

Barbary Ground Squirrel, Los Molinos

Black-winged Stilt, Los Molinos


Trumpeter Finch, Los Molinos

Spanish Sparrows, Los Molinos

Berthelot's Pipit, Los Molinos

Ring-necked Duck, Los Molinos

I finished the day off in Pertito de los Molinos, which is the small bay at the end of the FV-221. This seems to be a very easy place to see Fuerteventura Chat as there was a pair along the stream right next to the car park. A nice way to finish the day!

Berthelot's Pipit, Pertito de los Molinos

Fuerteventura Chat, Pertito de los Molinos

Fuerteventura Chat, Pertito de los Molinos

No comments: