Saturday 17 November 2012

Fuerteventura - 17 Nov 12

As I've not had any proper sleep since Thursday night, I'm making this a short entry.
Today was my first day in Fuerteventura. I arrived early afternoon and after picking up the hire car, checking into my hotel and having a quick phone call with Tony Clarke (who has been on the island for the past few days but is leaving today), I headed off to Barranco de la Torre to try and get the one true endemic - Fuerteventura Chat. It was a bit of a slog through the barranco (river bed), but I finally found a pair right at the end (and on the way back found a pair just 200 metres from my car!). Anyway, they put on a decent show. They're quite wary birds and don't like you to get too close. The first pair had a Spectacled Warbler following them around, just like Dartford Warblers follow Stonechats in the UK. Here are some photos of them:

Fuerteventura Chat, male

Fuerteventura Chat, male

Fuerteventura Chat, female
Fuerteventura Chat, female
Fuerteventura Chat, female

Spectacled Warbler

Spectacled Warbler


I ended the day with a trip across to La Oliva, to try and see the Houbara Bustards that come into roost around the cultivations, but even though I got there an hour before dusk, I failed to see any.
Tomorrow maybe ay!

No comments: