Friday 26 October 2012

OMG - I found a GWE!

I headed out to East Norfolk today, starting off at Horsey Gap. I'd not even gotten by binoculars out of the boot when I noticed a large egret fly over the approach road. I whipped the boot open and grabbed my bins - sure enough a Great White Egret! Ironically, this was a 'find-tick', the first one I'd ever found in Britain, but the Arctic Warbler that I found at Brancaster Staithe was my second, after finding one at Kelynack Valley, Cornwall in October 1993. It landed briefly in a ditch then flew out to a distant field and then finally flew into some reeds that bordered the fields and willow scrub.
The egret was the highlight of the day, but there were some migrants around still. Waxham (north of Shangri-la) 3 or 4 Woodcock, Short-eared Owl, Ring Ouzel and about 4 Chiffchaffs, whilst 2 Black Redstarts frequented the church.

Great White Egret, Horsey Gap

Great White Egret, Horsey Gap

No comments: