Saturday 13 October 2012

Finally!

Even though the weather map showed westerly winds, I headed off to Horsey this morning in the hope of seeing something. When I got there, there was hardly any wind at all. The bushes were still and it was quite easy to see and movement in them although the first birds I saw were 18 Jays heading high inland. I headed off down the Horsey Gap approach road, but I'd only gotten about 50 yards when I heard the characteristic "pee-sweet" of a Yellow-browed Warbler coming through the bushes towards me. It showed really well posing long enough for me to get some photos.

Yellow-browed Warbler, Horsey Gap

Yellow-browed Warbler, Horsey Gap

Yellow-browed Warbler, Horsey Gap

Yellow-browed Warbler, Horsey Gap

Yellow-browed Warbler, Horsey Gap
I pushed on towards Horsey Gap car park, where I found quite a lot of Meadow Pipits feeding around the perimeter, along with a couple of Reed Buntings and a few Chiffchaffs calling from various bushes. My attention was drawn to the call of a fly-over Lapland Bunting, but when I looked up the first bird I saw was a large pipit, which had obviously just come in off the sea and was flying over the car park with a few Meadow Pipits. I've seen lots of Richard's Pipits in my time and this bird looked a bit on the small side. Unfortunately, I couldn't say that I heard it call, although frustratingly I did think I'd heard a "chup" call just as I looked up and saw it. The bird looked like it was dropping down into one of the fields next to the car park although it disappeared out of view behind the bushes. I headed over and hopped over the fence of the field that it looked like it might have landed in, but I couldn't find anything.
After that I headed off north towards Waxham Sands. There were some nice migrants to keep me busy - quite a few Goldcrests in the bushes, as well as a single 4 Lapland Buntings, 5 Great Spotted Woodpeckers (1 flying in a flock of Meadow Pipits!), Fieldfare, Whinchat, Ring Ouzel and Black Redstart.

Black Redstart, Waxham Sands
I pushed on from Waxham Sands towards the pipe dump and my endeavours were once again rewarded with another Yellow-browed Warbler in the bushes to the north of the pipe dump.

Yellow-browed Warbler, Waxham
There were quite a few Golden Plover and Lapwing in the fields north of the pipe dump. Although I didn't have my scope with me, I couldn't see anything that stood out as being different. After that I decided to head back to the car with Tim Allwood, but a lovely Jack Snipe that we flushed and which flew around us proved nice experience to end the day.

No comments: