Sunday 13 November 2011

More geese, but finally a rare

I headed out to Nelson Head first thing today. As on the north coast yesterday, lots of Blackbirds and a few Robins, but rather quite otherwise. I had a few Snow Buntings on Horsey Beach flying over the pupping Grey Seals and then headed back to the car. I had a quick scan along the dunes before I reached my car and to my delight saw a Red Kite moving slowly south. It dipped down behind the dunes a few times, presumably interested by seal placenta. Above it was a large falcon, presumably a Peregrine, which soared around and then headed off north.
I decided to go a little further north and headed off to Horsey Gap. Again it was a bit slow, but when I returned to my car I stopped to ID a small bird that had flicked up into the top of some sallows. It turned out to be a Chiffchaff, so I stood and watched to see if there was anything else in the area. It was then that I heard a light "tuck" call coming from a little further back in the bushes. The call reminded me of a Radde's Warbler that I'd heard a couple of weeks ago, but  perhaps slightly harder. I headed into the bushes and after a bit of searching tracked down the call - Dusky Warbler! It gave me the run around a bit, proving VERY difficult to photograph, but I eventually got a few clear photos of it. I put the news out and when the first people came along to look at it (about an 90 minutes after I found it), I headed off to Cart Gap to look at a lovely flock of mixed Tundra Bean, Eurasian White-fronted, Graylag and Pink-footed Geese.
I great way to finish off the autumn!

Dusky Warbler

Dusky Warbler

Dusky Warbler

Tundra Bean Geese

Tundra Bean Goose

Greylag Goose

Eurasian White-fronted Goose

No comments: